- Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus.
- xkcd on the physics of Christmas. (For the record, I’m pretty sure Heisenberg celebrated the holiday.)
- What’s on the White House Christmas tree? (As if Glenn Beck didn’t have enough to ineptly rant and spume about over the holidays. [via]
- 15 Toys Not to Buy Your Kids This Christmas [via]
- I don’t know about you, but with the first part of The End of Time airing in the UK this weekend, it looks like I will be spending Christmas with a Dalek.
- I’m sure you’ve heard that Bob Dylan has a new Christmas album out. You may even have heard how awful it is. (And believe me, it is awful.) But now you can see for yourself. This may be the most wonderfully, horrible strange cover of “Must Be Santa” ever.
- And finally, Patton Oswalt on what may be my least favorite Christmas song ever.
Happy holidays to you and yours!
We’re celebrating Christmas here tomorrow with some family, including my sister and her husband who are driving to NY tomorrow morning. (They both had to work today, and they’re celebrating Christmas Eve with his mother and sister in Maryland.) All my presents are wrapped, though not yet under the tree. Now I’m just waiting on those visions of sugar-plums and their famous dance moves.
I have to say, I wasn’t exactly feeling the Christmas spirit until this week. Then my vacation started, and we hung the lights outside, and we had a pretty heavy snowfall — maybe 14 inches — and I started thinking, y’know, not all Christmas songs are terrible, especially when it’s actually Christmas. And then I put up the tree yesterday — with my sister not yet home, it was pretty much left to me alone — and we started getting ready for tomorrow. I’m looking forward to it.
So again, happy holidays to you and all the best in this season!
- Maybe I’m just still bitter that my family stood on line for several hours to see this when it was new — and missed out on Journey into Imagination (at the time a personal favorite and which is what we originally thought we were standing on line for) — but come on, the return of Captain Eo? Really?
- I’m always dubious about lists of new slang words. They inevitably seem like they’re just a joke on whoever is compiling them — “can you believe what I got that reporter from the Guardian to believe?” — or like somebody’s just gotten corrugated ankles, gone to goat heaven, and started making things up. [via]
- Graham Greene once entered a contest to parody himself. He came in second. [via]
- Sketchy Santas. Parents, do you really want your kids sitting on these men’s laps? [via]
- And finally, speaking of which, Jack Bauer’s making a list and checking it twice…