- Alfred Shaheen, inventor of the Hawaiian shirt, has passed away. I know at least one person who will be inconsolable for days. [via]
- So it’s official: Sci Fi Wire has become another io9. Although, as Glen points out, there are probably better things to be.
- An online planetarium. It’s a neat, if at first somewhat dizzying, application. [via]
- I don’t often (that is, ever) post Metallica videos here. But that’s only because I’ve never seen any as seriously entertaining and weird as this one. From Tunguska Event to zombie disaster, it’s worth watching even if the music isn’t your cup of tea. [via]
- It’s The End of the Financial World as We Know It:
Say what you will about our government’s approach to the financial crisis, you cannot accuse it of wasting its energy being consistent or trying to win over the masses. In the past year there have been at least seven different bailouts, and six different strategies. And none of them seem to have pleased anyone except a handful of financiers.
Substantial and sweeping reform is going to be needed to get us out of this mess. [via]