- These landscapes made with small materials — steel-wool tornado, paprika Mars, etc. — are really impressive. But, as with earlier tilt-shift photographs, I am left in the very weird position of thinking, if these were real, I think they would be less impressive. It’s the work that goes into these, into tricking the eye, that I find much more intriguing than the shots themselves. [via]
- Lost characters explain how to make a sandwich. Funny and only somewhat spoilerish. [via]
- Some people might say a monkey could do this job. I don’t need scientists proving them right. [via]
- Christa Faust on how crime fiction treats women:
Female characters in classic noir fiction tend to fall into one of three categories: the murderous femme fatale; the long-suffering wife who keeps asking the hero, “Why can’t you just let this case go?”; and, of course, the beautiful victim. [via]
- And finally, now I kind of wish I’d been watching Conan O’Brien’s Tonight Show. Frankly, I believe him about the hair.