So here are mine. Any one of these could be true. The new lead for Doctor Who‘s fifth season will be:
- David Tennant. That’s right, it was all just an elaborate April Fool’s Day joke that went too a bit too far. You can’t believe everything you read in the British papers.
- Russel T. Davies. No longer content to live vicariously through the Doctor, the real reason Davies resigned as executive producer was so that he could now be the Doctor. Although as Nyssa suggested, Davies might actually prefer being Rose…
- Rowan Atkinson. What? It’s not as if he hasn’t been the Doctor before…
- A Dalek. Well, it would be ironic, wouldn’t it?
- The other ten Doctors before him. Through clever editing of past episodes — there are decades of them to choose from! — an judicious use of CGI, no one will ever be the wiser. Call it “The Ten Doctors” or something and fans will eat it up!
- No one. Other characters will constantly refer to the Doctor, but he will never in fact appear on screen. Think of all the money they’ll save! And obviously, anyone they cast is going to disappoint someone. This way, you equally disappoint everyone!
Will any of these be the new Doctor? Only time — and very little time at that — will tell.