- I’m with xkcd on this: fuck cancer.
- The Prescription to Save Ailing Superheroes. I can’t say I agree with everything here, but it’s an interesting article, particularly the argument against having Thor and Captain America both do double-duty by setting their characters up for The Avengers.
That said, I enjoyed both of them just fine as summer entertainment, and while I enjoyed X-Men: First Class no small amount either, I think it’s ultimately the least successful film of the three. (I haven’t seen Green Lantern.) Matthew Vaughn’s “auteur vision” seems cribbed from a few other places (like Bryan Singer’s first X-Men movie, and like Mad Men), and there’s some pretty iffy racial and gender issues at work in the film as well. But maybe that just underlines Pappademas’ main argument: at least the movie has some distinctive stamp to it, however flawed. [via]
- NY motorcyclist dies on ride protesting helmet law [via]
- Soap operas moving online. This will bear further watching. The news, not the shows. (God no.) [via]
- And finally, Who owns the copyright on a photo taken by a monkey? [via]
Not much to say about today. A hot Thursday. I bought some groceries. I read a little. That kind of day.
I’m afraid I couldn’t help but glance at my work e-mail, however. Our office is apparently having a contest for New York-themed photographs, to hang on the walls. I’m thinking maybe about submitting this one. Or this one. Or maybe even this one. What do you think? Do I have a shot at that gift card prize?
- I ate in an In n Out Burger when I was in Las Vegas a couple of years ago and I really liked it. Then again, I was maybe just really hungry. I certainly didn’t love it this much. That’s some crazy line.
- Cellphones Cause Bees to Swarm to Their Death, Says a New Study. Oh just great. [via]
- “A large proportion of iPad owners in the US have not used the device to read an e-book, a survey from media and publishing forecast firm Simba Information reveals.” That’s kind of sad.
- Well I guess I just stopped using Twitpic. [via]
- If summer movie posters told the truth. [via]
- And finally [via]:
- You Can Now Whore Yourself Out by Tagging Products and Corporate Pages on Facebook. Because of course you can. [via]
- Lady Gaga to debut new songs on Farmville. Because of course she is. [via]
- Sarah Palin and other Republicans upset that rapper Common was invited to the White House. Because of course they are. (Although, seriously? Common?)
- FCC Commissioner Takes Job At Comcast Months After She Voted To Approve Its Deal With NBC Universal. Because of course she did. [via]
- Facebook reportedly paid to smear Google. Because of course they (allegedly) did. [via]
- And finally, because of course it is, Starbuck and Starbuck drinks [sic] Starbucks at Starbucks. [via]